There are several ways to approach the red kidney beans in this recipe.
When using dried red kidney beans:
1) Rinse and soak over night.
2) Quick Soak Method:
Rinse and drain beans. Place in large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for one hour. Then rinse, drain and proceed with recipe.
3) Use canned beans; rinsed and drained.
2 - 3 hours; if using dried beans. 30 - 40 minutes if using canned beans.
White or Brown Rice - prepared according to package directions.
These beans would also be wonderful poured over the top of the grain of your choice; quinoa, wild rice, millet, or a nice grain combo.
Depending on which method of preparation for the red kidney beans; prepare beans and proceed with the following directions:
1. Saute onions, celery and bell pepper in a couple tablespoons of vegetable broth. As they cook, add the 1 teaspoon of salt, and sweat the vegetables until transparent; adding small amounts of broth if necessary to not burn the vegetables. Be careful not to allow them to brown.
2. Add carrots, garlic, bay leaves and garlic, stirring to mix well.
3. Add beans, spices and broth.
4. If using canned beans, cover and cook for approximately 30 - 40 minutes - until carrots are very soft.
5. If using soaked, dried beans, cook for approximately 2 - 3 hours, until beans are tender and cooked thoroughly.
Pour mixture over hot cooked rice, or hot cooked grain of your choice.
A few splashes of Tabasco, or Sriracha, or your favorite Louisiana hot sauce goes very well here!
This one is all mine - inspired by our trip to Lousiana!