We use TruRoots Sprouted Quinoa Brown Rice Blend for the filling of these delicious tacos.
We have found this product at Costco - at times - and at other times we have needed to order it online.
8 - 10 tacos
(For Elimination Diet - omit oil & saute with water or vegetable juice. Do not include avocado)
1. Cook 1 cup sprouted rice & quinoa blend according to package directions. - Do not overcook - you want texture to be chewy - almost al dente. Keep a watch on the fluid levels, sometimes you need to add a little more water toward the end of cooking time.
2. While the rice blend is cooking, saute the purple onion in the 2 tbs oil (For Elimination Diet - omit oil & saute with water or vegetable juice). Cook onions until they are opaque, adding crushed garlic as the onions begin to brown slightly. Stir to incorporate and cook until the onions are tender.
3. Add green chilies and stir to heat thoroughly.
4. Once the rice mixture is al dente - and the onions are nice and soft, and beginning to brown, add the rice mixture to the onion stir fry.
5. Add all remaining filling ingredients; black olives, tomato sauce & spices, parsley & cilantro. Taste & season to your preference.
6. You do not want the taco filling to continue to "cook" and become mushy, so cook until the mixture is well blended, chewy & delicious - turn the burner to lowest temp to keep warm while you cook your tortillas & chop all your favorite toppings.
7. It is a good idea to chop all of your ingredients ahead of time - while the taco filling is cooking in order to not over cook your taco filling.
8. Heat 2 tablespoons of refined coconut oil*, or organic canola oil and fry tortillas according to your crispy preference.
9. Fill tacos and enjoy!
Making healthier choices is key in the GLAD life-style. So it is VERY important to use organic oil to cook your tortillas.
Organic canola oil works best to fry the tortillas.
* Refined coconut oil smokes at high heat - refined coconut oil has no flavor - and is a healthier option for oil.